This page links to lots of lists. Four are complete lists of post office names, and the other ten are detailed lists of cancels. All are in Word format (.doc) and downloadable so that you can use them on your own computer and adapt them as desired. The complete lists and the 10 cancels lists were updated in November 2016. Earlier sets of lists are available on the archive page. Each list uses blue highlight to show changes from the previous version.
Feel free to download and use the lists but please bear in mind that:
- You may not publish these lists without my prior permission. I assert my rights to them as author
- Information in these lists has been drawn from a range of sources including the three books described on the Sources page. The authors of those books also have copyrights
- You will not find the detailed lists much use if you do not also have the books to look up illustrations of the types referred to
- I very much hope that you will contact me with information to improve and add to the lists
The lists of offices
- Complete list in alphabetical order: The list includes all new offices in the most recent detailed lists of cancels and the names of offices believed to have opened but for which no cancels have been seen. NB - a big file to download - 4.6 MB. This list updated November 2016. Includes 10 offices from the July 2016 'unseen' list, 20 offices not previously recorded, and 16 additional names for known offices (eg Tapa Ibadan for known office Tapa)
- List of labels for collectors: Contains all the office names, formatted into labels 22mm square. Helps keep your collection tidy, though you will need to make your own labels for each cancel type. This list updated November 2016.
- The unseen Nigerian Post Offices. Drawn from the Complete List, this file shows the offices which are thought to have opened up to 1980 but for which no 'live' cancels have been reported.This list updated November 2016.
- List of NIPOST offices reported on the NIPOST (Nigerian Postal Service) website. The NIPOST site contains a post-office finder facility, in which offices are given state by state. I have taken the information and re-organised it so that office names are given in alphabetical order, followed by the name of the state where the office is located. While it is unlikely that the NIPOST website has been kept fully updated it is probably safe to assume that the information is not more than 5 years old.
The detailed lists of cancels
The A-Z lists of cancels are divided up for manageability into ten separate documents. The head of each document provides a key to abbreviations, use of colours etc. For each office the known cancels are listed, classified according to Jones, Proud, Ince and Sacher as relevant, with ealiest and latest use dates. The final two columns of each table give the date range of cancels in my own collection, but you can of course delete those... These lists updated November 2016.
Vol 1-9 cover all cancels which came into use on or after 1 January 1914, when Nigeria became a single country. Vol 10 covers all cancels which came into use before then, and includes details of code letters, colours etc. Earlier sets of lists are available on the archive page.
- Vol 1: Aba to Ankpa
- Vol 2: Annang to Edda Afikpo
- Vol 3: Ede to Ibokun Ilesha
- Vol 4: Ibrede to Imiegba
- Vol 5: Imo to Kurmin Biri
- Vol 6: Kurmin Biri Kaduna to Nkwogwu
- Vol 7: Nkwogwu Owerri to Omuo Oku Ikare
- Vol 8: Omuohiri Okigwi to Share Ilorin
- Vol 9: She to the end (including TPO and Mobile)
- Vol 10: Pre 1914 cancels
I update these lists from time to time: when and how depends a lot on how much new information I am sent.